Closed building conditions shall begin at least 12 hours prior to the beginning of the measurement period and shall be maintained throughout the measurement interval. The following conditions shall be complied with during closed building conditions:
1. Normal operation of permanently installed energy recovery ventilators may continue during closed building conditions.
2. The operation of dryers, range hoods, bathroom fans and other mechanical systems that draw air out of the building may adversely affect test results.
3. In buildings having permanently installed radon mitigation systems, the mitigation system shall be functioning during the measurement interval.
4. Air conditioning systems that recycle interior air may be operated during closed building conditions.
5. All windows shall be kept closed.
6. All exterior doors shall be closed except for normal entry and exit.
7. Whole house fans shall not be operated.
8. Fireplaces or combustion appliances shall not be operated unless they are the primary sources of heat for the building. Ceiling fans, portable dehumidifiers, portable air filters and window air conditioners shall not be operated within twenty feet of the detector.
9. Air handling systems shall not be set to operate in continuous operation unless the air handling equipment is specifically used for radon control and is so labeled.
10. A person who violates a provision of this Act shall be guilty of a business offense and shall be fined not less than $500 or more than $1000 for the first offense and shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor for a subsequent offense.